Dec 24, 2012

Talk to God in NT Greek

[This is an update of my earlier post. I've re-ordered the prayers so that they form a more reasonable sequence.]

In a blog article Do you need to speak Greek in order to read it?, a scholar reminds us that it is good or even necessary to speak NT Greek, if one wants to read the New Testament in its original language really fluently.

With whom can I speak? I am doing revision at home, I am not in a university or seminary or study group setting (although I long for one). I think I can talk to God. God understands NT Greek, for sure.

What is one way to pray to our Father in Heaven using the language in which the words of His Son and His Son's apostles were formally written down? (I admit that my intention is for language fluency. I do not believe at all that the original language contains special mysterious power.)

I have collected prayer sentences from the Bible. Here they are. Comments are welcomed!


Greek
ESV
Luke 10:21
ἐξομολογοῦμαί σοι, πάτερ, κύριε τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καὶ τῆς γῆς
I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth.
Luke 10:21
ναὶ ὁ πατήρ, ὅτι οὕτως εὐδοκία ἐγένετο ἔμπροσθέν σου
yes, Father, for such was your gracious will.
Rev 11:17
εὐχαριστοῦμέν σοι, κύριε ὁ θεὸς ὁ παντοκράτωρ, ὁ ὢν καὶ ὁ ἦν, ὅτι εἴληφας τὴν δύναμίν σου τὴν μεγάλην καὶ ἐβασίλευσας.
We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, who is and who was, for you have taken your great power and begun to reign.
Luk 11:1
κύριε, δίδαξον ἡμᾶς προσεύχεσθαι
Lord, teach us to pray!
Mat 6:9-13
9  Πάτερ ἡμῶν ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς· ἁγιασθήτω τὸ ὄνομά σου·
10  ἐλθέτω βασιλεία σου· γενηθήτω τὸ θέλημά σου, ὡς ἐν οὐρανῷ καὶ ἐπὶ γῆς·
11  τὸν ἄρτον ἡμῶν τὸν ἐπιούσιον δὸς ἡμῖν σήμερον·
12  καὶ ἄφες ἡμῖν τὰ ὀφειλήματα ἡμῶν, ὡς καὶ ἡμεῖς ἀφήκαμεν τοῖς ὀφειλέταις ἡμῶν· 13  καὶ μὴ εἰσενέγκῃς ἡμᾶς εἰς πειρασμόν, ἀλλὰ ῥῦσαι ἡμᾶς ἀπὸ τοῦ πονηροῦ.
9  "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.
10  Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
11  Give us this day our daily bread,
12  and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13  And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Luk 18:13
ὁ θεός, ἱλάσθητί μοι τῷ ἁμαρτωλω
God, be merciful to me, a sinner!
Luk 15:21
πάτερ, ἥμαρτον ... ἐνώπιόν σου
Father, I have sinned...before You.
Mat 20:31, 33
ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς, κύριε, υἱὸς Δαυίδ!... κύριε, ἵνα ἀνοιγῶσιν οἱ ὀφθαλμοὶ ἡμῶν!
Lord, have mercy on us, Son of David!...
Lord, let our eyes be opened!
Mat 14:30
κύριε, σῶσόν με!
Lord, save me!
Luk 23:34
πάτερ, ἄφες αὐτοῖς, οὐ γὰρ οἴδασιν τί ποιοῦσιν.
Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.
Phil 3:13
ἓν δέ, τὰ μὲν ὀπίσω ἐπιλανθανόμενος τοῖς δὲ ἔμπροσθεν ἐπεκτεινόμενος,
But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead…
Luk 17:5
πρόσθες ἡμῖν πίστιν!
Increase our faith!
John 11:41
πάτερ, εὐχαριστῶ σοι ὅτι ἤκουσάς μου.
Father, I thank you that you have heard me.
Gal 2:20
ζῶ δὲ οὐκέτι ἐγώ, ζῇ δὲ ἐν ἐμοὶ Χριστός·
It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.
Luk 1:38
ἰδοὺ ἡ δούλη κυρίου· γένοιτό μοι κατὰ τὸ ῥῆμά σου.
Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word."
Mat 8:19
διδάσκαλε, ἀκολουθήσω σοι ὅπου ἐὰν ἀπέρχῃ.
Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go
Rev 22:20
ἔρχου κύριε Ἰησου
Come, Lord Jesus!
Act 10:48
ἐν τῷ ὀνόματι Ἰησοῦ Χριστου
in the name of Jesus Christ
Mar 12:30-31
καὶ ἀγαπήσεις κύριον τὸν θεόν σου ἐξ ὅλης τῆς καρδίας σου καὶ ἐξ ὅλης τῆς ψυχῆς σου καὶ ἐξ ὅλης τῆς διανοίας σου καὶ ἐξ ὅλης τῆς ἰσχύος σου.
ἀγαπήσεις τὸν πλησίον σου ὡς σεαυτόν.
And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.
You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment