Dec 10, 2012

Using NT Greek in daily activities

χαιρε! (Greetings!)

In the coming four to five months, I would strive to integrate New Testament Greek revision with my daily life. I will use this blog to share what one can do in this regard, the useful links which I shall find online, etc. If you're also revising NT Greek, you're welcomed to join the conversation with some NT Greek.

How can one utilize daily life elements for NT Greek revision and learning?


1. Say the Lord’s Prayer in Greek every morning.
2. Say the Shema in Greek before one gets up in the morning and after one lies down at night.
3. Memorize the numbers, count with Greek in daily life, e.g. when one needs to count when doing stretching exercises.
4. Download the free Greek New Testam
ent recordings, listen to them whenever we do household chores and walk on the street.
5. Write the Greek names, genders and plural forms of “table,” “chair,” “mirror” etc. on pieces of paper and stick them on these objects.
6. Search for Greek worship songs on YouTube and make a playlist there. Listen to it whenever we can.
7. Pray in Greek—take sentences from the New Testament which can be used as our own prayer, such as “Have mercy on me, a sinner!” or “Lord, teach us how to pray.”
8. Write email and talk with some Greek, when we communicate with a fellow student who is also revising Greek.
Just some suggestions. Of course it can be Hebrew or English or German. But if the Lord so will, I may start this tomorrow for Greek, and I'll be glad to hear from a fellow student in Greek.


I've learnt this method from inspiring teachers, fellow students and programs. I've used it to practice and deepen my working knowledge of Biblical Hebrew, as well as a modern European language. It works. It's also fun. Therefore now, if the Lord so will, I would try this for NT Greek, and would like to see comments from anyone trying the same thing! Now I am not in a class, so I do not have any friend who is clearly my fellow student in this regard.

No comments:

Post a Comment